Symptoms of Windows Update Error 0x80070002
After you have downloaded an update from Windows Update, you may receive a 0x80070002 error in the Windows Update window, and a red X may appear next to the error message. This is usually caused because some of the crucial Windows Update files are missing or corrupt.
How to fix update error 0x80070002
Method 1: Run the Microsoft Fix It tool for the automatic fix.
Method 2: Fix the issue manually.
- Click the Start Orb, then in the search box, type in services.msc, and click OK.
- When the services window opens, find the line that says Automatic Updates, then right-click it and choose Stop.
- Click the Start Orb->All Programs->Accessories, then open Command Prompt.
- Type in the command cd %windir% and press ENTER.
- Type in the command ren SoftwareDistribution SDTemp and press ENTER.
- Close the command prompt window.
- Run Windows Update again and the error should be resolved.